Expert Advice – After Tanning
Tanning isn’t just a one-and-done experience. By taking certain steps, you can avoid causing any damage to your tan, as well as making sure it lasts as long as possible. Here are some things you can do:
- Apply Lotion a 2nd Time – By keeping your skin moisturized, you can keep your tan lasting longer. Talk with one of our consultants to find the best one for you.
- Let your skin rest – Before you go to your next tanning session, give your skin at least 24 hours of rest to recover from any minor damage it might have experienced.
- Rehydrate – Water rehydrates your skin, giving it a healthier and more youthful appearance. Make sure to drink plenty following your tanning session.
- Clothing – Wear loose fitting clothing made of cotton. Avoid glasses, sunglasses, shoes, socks, flip flops, and sandals for 8-12 hours. Avoid sleeveless tops that fit tightly to your chest.
- Avoid perspiring – Whatever level of activity causes you to sweat, avoid it in the hours following your tan, as it can negatively affect the quality of your tan.
- When you shower – Wait at least 8 hours before showering. When you do, use a body wash and lather it in your hands. Avoid bar soap, washcloths, sponges, and any other method of rigorously scrubbing your skin, as these can damage your tan.
- If you Got Sunburned – The number one rule of indoor tanning is to never ever get burned so make sure getting out of your tanning bed on time is a priority. A quick shower can slow your sunburn, so try to shower as soon as possible. Once you’re done, make sure you use an aloe-based lotion. As always, you can talk with one of our Smart Tan certified staff members about the one that will work best for you.