Health Benefits of Indoor Tanning
Believe it or not, indoor tanning has a number of substantiated health benefits. It’s not available just to make you look better. Here are a number of health benefits you receive from indoor tanning:
- Increased Vitamin D Production - The interaction of UV rays with your skin causes your body to product vitamin D. In modern society, vitamin D is becoming an increasingly scarce commodity because most people spend the majority of their day indoors at work, school, or home.
- Melanin Production - When UV light meets your skin, more melanin pigment is produced. Melanin is a powerful anti-oxidant which helps your skin eliminate free-radical cells that cause damage to your body.
- Base tans help prevent sunburns - When you apply sunscreen over the top of your base tan, you have an extra level of protection from the sun’s rays. If you tan for 20 minutes, you’re essentially adding a natural coat of SPF 4 to your body. Combined with the sunscreen, a tan with an SPF 4 actually multiplies the effectiveness of that product. So, if you have sunscreen with an SPF of 15 and multiply that by 4, you really have a SPF of 60.
- Natural way to hide scars and birthmarks - If you’ve had any type of serious invasive surgery that leaves behind a scar, or if you have a birthmark or stretch marks from giving birth, there are a number of products and procedures you can use to hide their appearance. Tanning on a limited basis is a completely safe, and health way, of concealing their appearance.
- Metabolism regulation - Regular exposure to UV light stimulates your thyroid, which balances your body’s metabolism. Tanning can increase your metabolism, which in turn helps you maintain a healthier weight.